2017/05/03 Dresden, Germany
|Full Programme Available Online: The full DNC2017 programme is available on the DNC2017 website. View the Programme At-a-Glance, where you can see the exciting roster of Speakers and Sessions to be held at DNC2017!
A Nexus Approach to managing environmental resources is a complex and diverse subject. Continually increasing people’s understanding for this vastly important concept is at the core of the Dresden Nexus Conference (DNC). The Organisers and Stakeholders of this year’s edition of the biennial conference are committed to developing new and exciting programme items to help participants engage with this topic on new levels. With new formats and activities, we hope to continually expand the Dresden Nexus Conference and improve participants’ conference experience.
At DNC2017 we are excited to announce the following new additions to our programme:
- Case Studies Take Centre Stage: Focusing on the challenge and questions concerning the implementation of a Nexus Approach, at DNC2017 case studies of projects implementing the integrated resource management practices will take centre stage. During the afternoon plenary sessions three examples of scholars and practitioners working together to apply the Nexus Approach will be presented and discussed with experts. Read about the different case studies here.
- Excursions to Regional Nexus-Oriented Initiatives: Another exciting way to learn more about the implementation of the Nexus Approach is to visit local examples personally! The organisers of DNC2017 have arranged four exciting excursions.
- The World Café Comes to DNC2017: During a 60-minute session, participants will have the opportunity to participate in roundtable discussions of their choice. Moderators will lead discussions on open questions not taken up during (or emerging from) the parallel sessions on the linkage between the Nexus Approach and the SDGs.
- Gaming Session: The Nexus Approach calls for innovative means and tools for knowledge transfer and stakeholder participation. Gaming is learning! A Gaming Session related to the Water-Energy Nexus Game will take place at the conference venue. The session will be convened by the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IASA).
- Side Events on Organisers’ Nexus-Oriented Activities: You can never cover everything in one conference! There will be various side events taking place around DNC2017 on a select few of the nexus-oriented activities of the organisers.
Check out the DNC2017 Recommended Reading
Over 350 participants from many different sectors, backgrounds, and stages in their career will meet to discuss a Nexus Approach to sustainable resource management. To help us all enter into this important conversation from a similar starting point, we are delighted to share the position papers.
Six thought leaders share their opinions and findings on different dimensions of the conference topic “SDGs and the Nexus Approach – Monitoring and Implementation”:
- Holger Hoff, Integrated SDG Implementation – How a Vertical (Cross-Scale and Cross-Regional) Nexus Approach Can Complement Horizontal (Cross-Sectoral) Integration
- Ilje Pikaar, Silvio Matassa, Korneel Rabaey, Bronwyn Laycock, Nico Boon, Willy Verstraete, The Urgent Need to Re-Engineer Nitrogen-Efficient Food Production for the Planet
- Alex Smajgl, Participatory Processes and Integrated Modelling, Supporting Nexus Implementations
- Junko Mochizuki, Piotr Magnuszewski, Joanne Linnerooth-Bayer, Games for Aiding Stakeholder Deliberation on Nexus Policy Issues
- Mathew Kurian, Kent E. Portney, Gerhard Rappold, Bryce Hannibal, Solomon H. Gebrechorkos, Governance of Water-Energy-Food Nexus: A Social Network Analysis Approach
- Stefan Bringezu, Key Strategies to Achieve the SDGs and Consequences for Monitoring Resource Use
These papers are a service provided to conference participants only. Papers are in pre-print draft status and are not meant for dissemination, citation, or replication. They will be published after DNC2017. Participants can access to them by logging into their accounts on the Conference Platform.
For more information on the Dresden Nexus Conference, visit the conference website here.